Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Shuggah Dieuhbeetus

(That's how you'd say it if you were from the Ninth Ward in New Orleans.)

Yes, I have a case of the sugar diabetes, the gestational type. I responded with two "abnormal" sugar levels during a three-hour glucose tolerance test last week - "abnormal" is a nicer way to say I didn't pass.

The good news is gestational diabetes disappears as soon as the placenta is delivered in 97-98% of moms.

Today I attended diabetic counseling at the University of Michigan hospital, and from now until I deliver I am on a carb-counting, protein-including, finger-pricking schedule of fun. It's not so bad, really. I just have to be very mindful of what I eat, what type of food group it belongs to, and when I eat it.

All of this to ensure my health, the baby's health, and to make sure I don't grow a huge baby that would be hard to deliver.

I got to take home my very own Accu-Check Aviva blood sugar monitor that has digital memory, along with this cool finger pricker that loads six sharps at a time and doesn't even hurt my tender little fingertips. And I got a free lunch tote in the deal. At least there's a sunny side!

1 comment:

zoe krylova said...

ah, sweetie. life is so often handing us these unexpected lessons. you have such a great attitude. and december will be here before you know it! i had a mild case of pregnancy anemia. and then i got a rare "pregnancy rash" about a week before tashi was born. it was like a terrible case of full body poison ivy. it disappeared upon her arrival. enjoy the opportunity to indulge in an extra, extra healthy diet!